Sunday, August 26, 2012

Al Qatif Corniche and Fish Port (Qatif - Eastern Province)




                                         Fishing vessels or dhows parked along Qatif Fish Port
Bored and Tired of transferring to our new flat, we decided to head in the Eastern Part of Saudi Arabia..to a place known as Al Qatif.....
After packing all what is required for our short visit to the Arabian Gulf, at 12:00 MN of August 20, we found ourselves driving in Khurais Road and then to Dammam Road. As expected, the main hi-way leading to the Eastern province is full of vacationers. Cars from small models to the expensive SUV's are seen everywhere..ooops..before I forget we are still on the peak of Ramadan holiday. Looking on the signs just as we entered the beginning of Riyadh - Dammam hi-way, we need to drive 360 km. to Dammam and 20 Km. more to our destination. So as not to be sleepy on our journey, we lined up for a cup of coffee in one of the gas stations along the hi-way. This is the advantage of the highway leading to Eastern province, compared to the road going to Jeddah..where only few coffee shops can be seen throughout the entire journey. We arrived in Qatif at around 5 am, exactly at same time when the sun is just about to rise in the horizon.
Since this is also my first time to visit this place (although I have attempted to find this location last year but was not successful) we seek the help of a gasoline attendant. Getting the directions using my small knowledge of arabic language and with the help of hand signs, we were able to find the corniche exactly when the sun just went up from the sea. There is festive mood in the park since it is already Eid, we found some gentleman enjoying shisha along the coast and group of men's dancing to the local  arabic tunes. Families are everywhere and so are teenagers enjoying roller skates along the concreted part of the corniche.
The scene of a local fisherman checking out for his catch on his fish nets attracted my attention. I immediately grab my camera bag and ran to his location with my coffee mug. Sitting beside his pale of catches, It was a very nice to see live Banaks (small fish which they are known in my town in the Philippines) wiggling inside the plastic container. I have been shooting street photography for sometime here in Saudi Arabia, and it is a rule not to aim your camera to any person without asking  permission. So I did my usual strategy, seating beside his pale of banak fish, I pretend to shoot the seascapes and then start taking pictures of the fish. The fisherman approached me and asked what I am doing, explaining my hobby, I finally gained his trust. We shook hand and intoduced our selves. Ali explained that fishing is just a hobby, specially during week ends. Finally, after sometime of discussions between our interests, he finally agreed to pose raising the fish nets. I was so excited and after some poses, he offered to guide us to the main fish port where I took pictures of dhow's and some local fishermen and their catches.

                                              Al Qatif Corniche


                                             Local Fisherman along the corniche

According to Ali, the dhow's unloaded all the fresh catch daily at 4:00 am in the fish port. Photographers interested to shoot the fishermen unloading the catches must be at the fish port before 4 am. In case you missed to shoot the fish port, try visiting the nearby bridge which is famous for fishing among the locals and expats....and don't forget your hot cup of freshly brewed coffee...


No comments:

Post a Comment